Saturday, November 27, 2010

Back from Tucson, with a Gray Christmas from Persephone on my mind


There is nothing better than a surprise in the mail -- even if you know it's on the way. So what a thrill to come home from a week in Tucson late last night and find a white bubble envelope from London. My Persephone book, compliments of my Secret Santa, had arrived!

This is so much fun. I usually know exactly what I'm getting for Christmas (let's just say my darling husband prefers VERY specific instructions), but in this case, I have no clue what the title might be, or who got my name. I have been talking to my daughter about how much I dislike a commercial from a certain luxury car manufacturer indicating that a $70,000 car is the perfect Christmas gift -- it seems so out of step with the times, and my mood. And looking at this package, I know I'm right -- a book is a small, wonderful, personal gift, and I wouldn't be more excited about a box from Sachs Fifth Avenue than I am about this small, white envelope.

No, I haven't opened it yet -- I admit, I was going to open the mailing package, but when I turned it over, a handwritten note reminded me, "For Christmas." So I'm in a quandry. Should I open the envelope and see what's inside? I'm not sure if there are any additional clues in there.

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I agree, there's nothing like a book for Christmas. The suspense of receiving one from one's Persephone Secret Santa is daunting, not to mention a package from the UK. If I were you, I'd wait a bit longer. If you can. (I'd be scorning the 70,000 car commercial with you and your daughter, by the way, along with every other ad telling us of something we must have that we don't need.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honestly trying to wait, Bellezza. But I have to admit, I couldn't wait to find out the gender of either of my darling daughters -- so this is a real test for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I found out my son was a boy as soon as I could. Heck, I can't bake a cake without looking in the oven window to see how it's doing...go ahead, open it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanted to stop by and say I'm so glad you decided to join in the fun of What's in a Name 4. Hope you like the categories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bellezza -- I have decided to wait until I put up my tree this afternoon to take it out of the envelope. Then I'll put the package (I'm guessing it's wrapped) under the tree until December 15!

    Beth F -- Yes, I think I have 5 of the 6 categories filled already. I'm planning on blogging about it this week (I can't think of a jewel at this point!) Thanks again for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted to see that Persephone gifts are beginning to arrive (I received mine and was surprised in person, no less).
    Beware: books wrapped from Persephone come with the matching bookmark on the outside so if you recognise the endpaper then you will know the title before unwrapping... Also the identity of your Santa may be on the giftcard accompanying gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm terrible at waiting -- I've already opened two of my three Secret Santa gifts! (And I would have opened the third... only it hasn't yet arrived.) Books for Christmas are wonderful, and I hope you love yours -- whether you save it for the big day or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Meg! I have actually made it this far. I do know who sent it (it was on the gift card), but I am waiting until December 15 to see what's inside! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col