Monday, September 9, 2013

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE by Neil Gaiman

I love how Neil Gaiman’s books find both magic and terror lurking in the most mundane places. In The Ocean at the End of the Lane, an introverted little boy finds a mystical world at a farmhouse just down a bumpy road from his house – a place of both wonder and fear. But more fabulous than the full moon that always shines on one side of the house to the little nameless boy who is the main character in the story is actually finding a friend, in the person of a strangely mature 11-year-old girl named Lettie Hempstock.

The little boy meets Lettie and the other Hempstock women when his family car is used by a tenant to commit suicide on their property. This sad act sets off a chain of events that puts the little boy, his family, Lettie Hempstock and perhaps the whole world in danger. But in the background of all the harrowing activity is the absolute calm of the Hempstock farm, where Lettie, her mother Ginnie, and grandmother Old Mrs. Hempstock live in absolute harmony with nature: where the fires are cozier, the kittens are cuddlier and the food tastes better than anyplace on earth. Which makes the juxtaposition of good and evil in this book particularly jarring.

This story certainly bears some resemblance to Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book -- but definitely at an adult level. No children’s book could deal so forthrightly with a father’s attempt to murder his own son – or that same father’s entanglement with an evil nanny. Still, Gaiman brings so much whimsy to the characters that you find yourself lulled into a false sense of security – and then startled back into remembering this is not a “warm and fuzzy” tale. For example, after one near death experience, the young boy’s mind turns to spotted dick, a favorite dessert:

I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I found joy in things that made me happy. The custard was sweet and creamy in my mouth, the dark swollen currants in the spotted dick were tangy in the cake-thick chewy blandness of the pudding, and perhaps I was going to die that night and perhaps I would never go home again, but it was a good dinner, and I had faith in Lettie Hempstock. p. 206

This is a unique story, despite the fact that the Hempstock women are reminiscent of the Fates –- life forms so old and powerful that even the Greek gods could not understand or sway them. But the similarities ended for me there. I absolutely couldn’t put this book down. I imagine many people will have this one on their R.I.P. VIII lists this year, and I don’t think they’ll be disappointed. Thanks so much to Carl V at Stainless Steel Droppings for hosting!

FTC Disclosure: I did not receive a free copy of this book for review. I borrowed the e-book from my public library.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Col,
    Enjoyed your review and I also like the book a lot. Your post captured the feel of the novel very well, I think. I chose to think of the book in terms of being about 'memories' and how long and how well they endure. My post about this book is here http://bibliophilica.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/neil-gaimans-the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane/ if you're interested in reading.

    I bet you're right in that many will include this in the R.I.P. reading. I read one post about it already.

    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I really enjoyed this little book -- it almost qualifies as a novella. But boy did Gaiman pack a lot in there. A more perilous choice than I had guessed for R.I.P. VIII! I appreciate your sharing your review -- I thought the focus on memory was spot on.

      Delete
  2. Everyone is loving this book! I'm waiting for the buzz to die down before I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how fast I got through the queue for my local library on this one, but I was glad the timing worked out for R.I.P. I hope you love it whenever you get to it!

      Delete
  3. This is one of those authors that I feel like the only person who hasn't read them yet. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite so far, but I also loved The Graveyard Book -- a very interesting ghost story, at a more YA level.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to reading this book. I've read Gaiman's Stardust and The Graveyard Book, both very memorable stories. (And as a fan of public libraries, I'm happy to know you've borrowed your copy.) Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Nancy (www.nancycudis.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Stardust yet, but it is on my TBR. I love borrowing e-books when I can, but the collection is still limited -- and waits are long for newer books.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this one, too. I enjoy it even more now thati have stepped away from it than I did when I read it- it is the sort of book that stays with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was definitely a lot going on in that book. I wanted to return it to the e-book queue, since I knew others were waiting. But I may buy it for a reread.

      Delete
  6. Probably my favorite audiobook of the year. I just loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this was awesome on audio. Did Gaiman read the book?

      Delete
  7. I'm of a mixed opinion when it comes to Gaiman's books; loved Stardust, disliked The Graveyard Book. He's a bit of Stephen King meets Tolkien, I think, where one can cozy up as you said only to be jarred unpleasantly by something almost worse than reality. Still, I have this book on hold, and the most appealing part seems to be the refuge created by that particular home. Much like I find in L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time. I've always wanted to live in Meg's house, with Meg's mother...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the resemblance to A Wrinkle in Time, but that definitely makes sense. I am looking forward to seeing what you think of this one.

      Delete
  8. I loved this story and therefore enjoyed your review very much. It almost makes me hunger for a reread already!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your opening observation--sometimes magic and terror are all the more impactful in a mundane setting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I've not read any Gaiman but I think this is a fine starting point for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never read a book by this author - I know, I know! This one has been getting a lot of attention - might be a good entry point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won't read the review now for fear of spoilers, but I'll come back later :) "Neil Gaiman’s books find both magic and terror lurking in the most mundane places" - you are so right. This is true for every book I've read of him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this book, don't normally go for fantasies but this author writes so well you get into it from page 1. Highly recommend this book!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col