Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Persephone Secret Santa Revealed: Or, How Bellezza Sent the Perfect Book

This is what Christmas is supposed to feel like! I got a wonderful surprise, but it was just what I wanted. It isn't too shocking though, since my Secret Santa is one of the few (and highly valued) followers of my little book blog: the wonderful Bellezza of Dolce Bellezza.

(Here's the back story. I only started my book blog because I wanted to participate in the "What's in a Name 3" reading challenge. Looking for inspiration to complete my categories, I clicked on a link to one of Bellezza's reviews. Hers was the first blog I ever followed, and since then I have enjoyed some wonderful book (and life) discussions with her. So it's pretty fun that Claire of Paperback Reader linked us up!)

Bellezza sent me Good Evening, Mrs. Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Painter-Downes. It was a fabulous choice. Social history is a favorite genre of mine -- little known fact in the blogosphere, as an undergraduate I was a History major, although I study Communications now. In fact, the only other Persephone Book I had read before this year was A London Child of the 1870s, another autobiographical account of a woman's life in England. I cannot wait until my grading is done and I can dive into this book!

So a million thanks to Bellezza for finding the perfect present, and to Claire Boyle at Paperback Reader for hosting this year's Persephone Secret Santa event!

I haven't heard from my own Santee yet -- the book I sent had a LONG way to travel, so I sent it very early. I hope to read that it has arrived safely somewhere in the Pacific sometime tomorrow! [UPDATE: I have heard from my Santee, and she got the book I was so worried about -- Yeah! It was a pleasure and a challenge to find a new book for someone who's read as many Persephone titles as Mrs. B at The Literary Stew, and I'm looking forward to reading her review of The Winds of Heaven by Monica Dickens.]

Sending Happy Holiday wishes from beautiful Happy Valley, Pennsylvania!
Colleen

13 comments:

  1. Colleen, I'm so glad that the book pleases you! I had a little hint from our hostess that you liked history, so that was helpful in my choice of Persephone to send. Claire did a masterful job of pairing us up; it's been a delight to blog with you in 2010, and I look forward to much more to come in future years. Blessings on your holiday and New Year! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so fantastic! I'm excited to reveal my Persephone Secret Santa, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - that's exciting! You mention two of my favourite persephones - and short stories are great to dip into over a busy festive period

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Good Evening, Mrs Craven earlier this year and loved it! I hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Secret Santa Colleen - Thanks so much for the wonderful book! You made an excellent choice as I loved Mariana. I know everyone was very divided on that particular Persephone but I actually loved it and listed it in my Top Ten Reads last year so I've been wanting to read more from Monica Dickens. I just posted right now so check out a picture of your present... Cheers and Happy Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Mollie Panter Downes novel, One Fine Day, actually maybe one of the highlights of my reading year.
    The Persephone SS has been a great way to also find out about other book blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked the gift, Mrs. B! I took a look at your titles and thought the new Monica Dickens title would be on your wish list. I'm heading over to The Literary Stew to see your post -- and then to a lot of other blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a post from Claire Boyle -- for some reason blogger wouldn't let her post today:

    Colleen, I was delighted to hear from Bellezza that she was thrilled at the match when I paired you up! She did a great job choosing a book that has such a heavy social-historical content.

    I am hoping that the Santees I haven't heard from have received their gift without incident & hope to read a reveal post from yours today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book -- the stories were so touching. I'm to read Mollie Panter-Downes book of Peacetime Stories soon. I hope you enjoy this! And good choice for your Santee as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like the perfect book for you! Bellezza is a very caring and special person so I consider you very lucky to have her for a Santa. But it sounds like you already know that. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the book! My Santee got me the sequel which I can't wait to read! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see how bloggers connect - it is great! Both of you were so thoughtful in your selections - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Golly, I have to hurry up and read mine so I can jump into these Persephone discussions! Very nice to meet you. I'll peruse around your blog and see what else you've read... Happy Persephone Holiday!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col