Thursday, June 24, 2010

Reading in the Southern Hemisphere

Greetings from Argentina! I am loving every minute of my vacation, but I have to admit it has not been the time of quiet contemplation I had anticipated. First, I had a couple of Kindle titles (I bought them before I realized how they were data mining my reading habits), but then realized the power here is of the 220 volt variety, so I can't recharge the iPhone. I also didn't love one of the paper titles I brought. So I've been bookless here for a few days.

The good news is that Buenos Aires is home to one of the world's great bookstores, El Ateneo, a former theatre turned into both a shop and a meeting place. I should be able to find something there to satisfy my need to read!


After a day at the Cementario Recoleta, I'm thinking of something with a "Gothic" vibe. Since I have no review, I thought I'd at least share a picture. You could spend a week in the cemetery, and not see it all. Most people head directly for Evita Peron's grave, but it's the older (and less well attended) masouleums that are the most interesting, I think.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. I love your idea of visiting the cemeteries....I once did that to search for old types of roses that are often found there.
    They are one of the most relaxing places you can go...doesn't creep me out at all, I just love the contemplation. Enjoy your trip and try some milanesa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Buenos Aires! Last time I was there was 15 years ago, way too long in my book. I need to go back!!! Enjoy cada minuto alli!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy it, Terresa! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments. Thanks for taking the time to share! Col